Mt. Bonnell

Mt. Bonnell

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Things That Go Bump in the Night

You can always tell when the power goes out, aside of course for everything turning off and going black, because everyone suddenly decides to go outside. And it's 103 degrees out.

My power went out Tuesday night at 8 - White Collar had just started so I was kinda pissed, even more so when I called the power company and was told it wouldn't be going on til any time between 10 and midnight. I actually didn't call them for half an hour - it never even dawned on me to call anyone til I overhead a woman on the floor below me ( remember we're all outside at this point) say she had been told it wouldn't be turned on til much later that night. No problem I thought, I'll just read. Umm.. but it's dark inside, so I'll sit on my porch...but it's hot and the kids playing are loud and annoying. I know! I'll go for a drive and see how the rest of the neighborhood fared.

My mini adventure started out fine. It turns out only my apartment complex and the one across the street were out. All traffic lights were working and the business down the street were open. My initial thought was - this is a perfect time for some frozen yogurt - but I'm cheap and currently only temping so I decided to forgo spending money and instead called a friend to see if I could hang out on his sofa for a few hours and watch tv.  And then I got to the William Cannon and Brodie intersection which, as long as you are not in the right lane eastbound on William Cannon, is not a bad intersection. Guess which lane I was in. Since there is a gas station on that corner and making a right turn is apparently a really difficult turn to make for most of the people in front of me, I ended up in the middle of the intersection as the light was about to turn red for my lane and green for the traffic that was seconds away from hitting me. I freaked. I didn't think, I  didn't look, I just turned into the next lane. BAM!

Within minutes there were not one, not two, but three police cars at the scene. You'd have thought I was on the top 10 wanted list. The guy who hit me wanted to see, as he put it, if we could 'work something out'. Yeah right. I called my friend first to let him know I wouldn't be coming over and then of course my insurance company. (Can't wait to see how much my rate goes up after this fiasco.) After telling my side of the accident - and yes I did admit to my un-signaled lane change - filling out paperwork and yet more paperwork, the tow truck finally showed up. My friend had also come by ( I should mention here that he is an ex-boyfriend - and a damn good one too) for support and to get me back home. I am of course issued a citation and advised of possible court date ( Shit!)

There didn't appear to be too much damage to my car. My driver side mirror was broken and the front tire and rim were shot. So I figured my cost would be a couple hundred maybe. Right. Progressive called me the next day to work out all the details and I will say that though they are charging me too much ( my opinion, and due to an accident, not my fault, from February) their concierge service is amazing. They picked up my car from the previous nights tow, took care of my rental and got it to a mechanic - if I had a mechanic they would have towed it there but I don't and having no idea where the best place ( meaning the least likely to rip me off) might be, so I let them use their guy. I didn't have to do thing. And that is where the good news ends.

The mechanic called a few days later with my estimate - about 4 times higher than I expected - which means I will be responsible for my full deductible $999. Crap! And let's not forget the citation I got for unsafe lane change - $277. Double Crap!  According to the list on the back of my ticket the highest fee was $200 so I have no idea why mine is $277 , or for that matter where I am going to get the money to pay for all this. Can you say credit card folks.

I am currently driving an HHR - who the hell names a car HHR and what doe sit stand for - I have no idea. My view sucks and I have to crane my neck  to see out the window - but at least it's better than the first one they gave me -a  Dodge Charger! Yup seriously, a Charger. You basically have to lay down in your seat to even be able to see where you are going. Needless to say I changed cars as soon as I could.

Next time the power goes out I'm sitting on the couch in the dark til it comes back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment