Mt. Bonnell

Mt. Bonnell

Monday, April 30, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath


The Austin Food & Wine Hummingbird Fest in 3 Parts:

The dust bowl hit Austin this weekend swirling brown clouds into the air covering everything in it's path. It got in my eyes, ears and up my nose. I was covered in a gritty film and couldn't even run my fingers through my hair due to the wind blown dust knots.

And yet I was happy....

It was a dirty, sweaty, know-I-worked-for-it-ate-a-ton happy. I was a volunteer at the Festival this weekend. It was my first time doing this event and I wasn't sure what to expect. A dust storm certainly wasn't it. 

On Volunteering:  I was assigned to one of the wine tents for both days - all shifts. 9-5 Sat and 10-2 Sun.  I had hoped to do just one day but since Sundays shift ended early I decided not try and get out of it.  I should mention here I don't drink wine. Tried it and it 's really not my drink, unless we are talking champagne, then I'm all for it (I mean how can you not like an alcoholic beverage you are encouraged to drink for breakfast). Our job was to set up the 100 seats for wine sampling - wine glasses, spit cup water bottles. I have never seen a group of strangers work so well together -  we cold set up in under 15 minutes (but oh the dust! probably could have set up faster if we didn't have to wipe down all the chairs and tablecloths each time). Added bonus: we don't have to stay while the demo is going on, we can go and listen to other talks and  demo's ( because working the festival and not getting to do anything would have really sucked)  as long as we were back for clean up and re-set up.  Clean up =  empty leftover wine into buckets, collect and stack glasses, throw everything else away, dust, . 10 minutes tops. Did I mention how well my group worked together? I know I did , but it just really impressed me. No one complained, not one one stood around and asked " what do I do?" - everyone seemed to know just what needed to be done and did it.   






On the Demos: So I really wasn't that familiar with most of the talent. But hey, Andrew Zimmerman - Mr Bald and Sexy Chef himself - Woot! I got to see 2 of his demos (ox heart and goat) and one with Marcus Samuelson ( fried chicken). I sadly missed a demo by Morimoto  ( #sadradish). I watched the large group at the grilling demo - a seriously cool set up. About 50 tables with a grill for 2 people at each, tons of steak and I was told copious amounts of wine and tequila to drink while you cooked. 





What I Ate: The "Grand Tasting"  - well I guess you could call it grand in that it took up 3 tents and tasting definitely covers what you got, little tastes. But if you made it to all the food vendors, pushing your way through the large, sweaty, very hungry crowd, it almost equaled a meal. I did my best Stanley Kowalski at the end of shift with - "Stelllllllllllllaaaaa" - first stop is always booze my friends, especially when you have only had water all day ( no drinking on shift ) Then to the St. Germain spot  for a Hummingbird ( I think my new fave drink - made with champagne). And for the breakdown of what I ate:
Frito Pie, Beef Cheek Ravioli, Pulled Pork on Beanitos, Pulled pork on Cracker w/ Corn, more Pulled Pork, Steak, Meatballs,( surprisingly no chicken), Shrimp, Peanut Butter, Waffles with Ice Cream, Mini Whoopie Pies, Macarons, Cinnamon Cake something, Cannoli, Pie, Pie , more Pie, Ice Cream, Nada Moo, Tums, Rolaids. 






I limped out of the festival and the end of each day, dragged my self to my car, spent 30 minutes showing the grime off me and promptly fell asleep before 10 each night. And I can't wait to do it all again next year.





















No comments:

Post a Comment